LA’s BEST provides children with a safe place to learn and play at 194 schools throughout Los Angeles. Volunteers play a critical role by bringing special talents and skills that add depth to the program and offer children additional role models. Whatever you’re good at, kids can learn from you. And you can learn from them too!
If you have any questions, contact Lynette Bynoe, Director, Volunteer Program at (213) 745-1900, ext. 52963 or Lynetteb@lasbest.lausd.net.
We can tailor the program and location to fit you.
Our volunteer coordinator will help you determine how best to get involved. Daily, weekly, or maybe just on occasional weekends.
- Daily program volunteers participate during the program hours between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, as homework helpers or activity assistants.
- Special events volunteers join in at various citywide events on weekends.
- Corporate volunteers are employees participating in their company’s volunteer program. Ongoing, periodic or one-time event opportunities are available.
- Administrative volunteers assist with office duties at our Corporate office at City Hall in downtown Los Angeles.
- Sports volunteers help coaches and share their expertise in a favorite sport. LA’s BEST kids play practically everything at some point during the year.
- Mentors offer support, friendship, and a constructive example to individual students. A mentor’s guidance and encouragement helps children explore their special talents and navigate their life decisions.
You may volunteer at an LA's BEST school nearest your home or work. You may also want to consider traveling farther if another site needs your particular skill.
On-site volunteers must show proof of tuberculosis clearance, accomplished within six months prior to volunteering. The initial examination must consist of a Mantoux skin test. The doctor or health center who conducts the test will provide proof of clearance; a copy of this proof must be mailed or faxed to the LA's BEST Volunteer Coordinator. If the Mantoux skin test is positive, a chest x-ray will be required. Volunteers may be tested by their own physician, or visit a Los Angeles County Health Center. The Los Angeles and California State Boards of Education require that all school volunteers and employees be retested for possible exposure to tuberculosis every four years. Please note that you cannot be accepted as a volunteer with LA's BEST until we have received this clearance. Please contact Volunteer Coordinator Lynette Bynoe at (213) 745-1900, ext. 52963, with any questions about TB Clearance or assistance in locating a testing center near you.
Special Events Volunteers
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with the LA's BEST After School Enrichment Program but are unavailable during the week, the organization also seeks Special Events volunteers for a variety of weekend events and field trips throughout the year. By becoming a Special Events volunteer your name is placed in our database and you will be notified of special events scheduled outside regular program hours that require volunteer participation. Only accept those events that are convenient for you. (Note: Special Events volunteers do not require TB clearance.)
If you are under the age of 18, please click here to download a volunteer form, which must include a signature from your parent or guardian and please fax or send to:
LA’s BEST Volunteer Department
Attn: Lynette Bynoe
711 14th Place
Los Angeles, CA 90021
Fax. (800) 267-0342
Please call Lynette Bynoe, Director, Volunteer Program at (213) 745-1900, ext. 52963 with any questions.